Pictures, Maps, Art and Artifacts, and Virtual Tour
Emanuel Leutze's "Washington Crossing the Delaware" (1854). This romantic vision of the historical event was painted in a studio in Germany. Photo courtesy of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
James Brown may have been similar to this soldier at Washington's
knee. The real James Brown will never be
Lispenard Meadows in the 18th century. The little stream is now roughly Canal Street.
A waterfront tavern in the 1800ís. Food was provided free, as long as one drank house brew as well. Then as now, a plethora of nationalities jostled ashore. The bully longshoreman with his hook harasses the Chinaman as the African mediates.
Thomas and Ellen Jeffers Cloke with their daughter Mary Foley.
The James Brown House in 1973.
For decades, the neon sign in front of the Ear Inn flashed "Bar." To avoid landmarks review for any new sign, the ends of the "B" were painted over to rename the pub once only known as "The Green Door." The new name came from the "Ear" music magazine published upstairs from 1975 to 1992.
Rip Hayman, homesteader in the house since 1973
The keystone lintels of the James Brown House have now been restored to the original sandstone
The old kitchen above the bar and the second floor roof deck.
Kitchen fireplace with draft horse shoe found in the chimney.
Stairs to the third floor guest quarters of the House.
The second floor parlor above the Ear Inn bar. The spruce plank floors and fireplace are originals from 1817.
Bar sign from the Thomas Cloke era surrounded by more recent additions.
Above the Ear bar stands a line of ancient bottles excavated from the back cellar.
A House bottle holds a dollís carved wooden arm.
Whiskey jug unearthed in the cellar., sold whiskey to ships on the nearby docks.
"James Brown Mandala" (1979) by Sari Dienes, made from shards excavated in the cellar.
Map by Lisa Adams
John Paul paintings on display in the Ear Inn 2006.